This two Panzers I finished today. I’m quit satisfied with result, especially as they are the cheep fast assembly one’s from Italeri.
They are painted using two different techniques to achieve the weathering effect. On the Panzer III Ausf. J I used the Hairspray technique and on the PzBeobWg III i just used a thin brush to paint chips on to the vehicle. Both models has been washed with Army Painter’s Quickshade, and after that got a drybrush.
The PzBeobWg conversion was quit easy to do, using some plastic and Milliput. The antenna I’m not very happy with, I will try to make a new one later…
Read more about the painting and conversion of this tanks here!
Panzer III Ausf. J
I will need some Panzer III’s in my Sicily campaign. A couple with 50mm gun, one with the short barreled 7.5 cm gun and a PzBeobWg III.
I bought two boxes of Italeri’s splendid “fast assembly 2in1 box” models, the only negative thing I can say about them is that the tracks aren’t very detailed, but I guess that this can’t be different when using that few parts on a model. Two of the tanks was not converted, the third that will be converted into the PzBebWg, and the last I will convert to a Flammpanzer (to my Normandy project). Beside the fast assembly tanks I bought one more Panzer III from Italeri (the Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf. M/N). This is a great model because it comes with both the short barrel and the long one, but also a Flammethrower barrel which I will need to my Flammpanzer!
On two of the Panzers I have done some experimenting – I used both the hairspray technique and the dipping methode (but with a brush). This is how it looks right now, still need to give them some drybrushing, and cover the ugly tracks with dust or something… I’m happy with the result, but have been through too many steps to get this far… so I don’t think I will use the hairspray technique too often in the future. The dip on vehicles seems to be a succes so that I for sure will do again.
Panzer III with 50mm gun
PzBeobWg III with dummy gun
I didn’t need to do that much converting to make a PzBeobWg III. Carve some holes, sand a little bit and use some Milliput. The dummy barrel I made out of one of the spare barrels that came in the box. The antenna I will make out of a guitar string.
The two lower pieces are the converted one’s, this plus adding a little piece in the back (the cylindric looking piece in back of the tank, that can be seen on the two pictures above this) where the antenna is going to be, is what I had to change to make the conversion.
[Update] I had to deal with the tracks that isn’t very detailed. I used an old trick that most of you probably already know – super glue and baking soda, it gives a nice sand/dusty look and is supposed to cover up the details that isn’t there…
This post will be updated as soon as the vehicles is done.
While my Normandy terrain project is on stand by, until me and my girlfriend moves into our new apartment (my girlfriend won’t let me use the kitchen anymore) I have thrown myself over a new project: Skirmish Elite: Combat Jump Sicily! I will skip the first missions where US fight Italians, and focus on the last 5 missions – US against Germans.
This M6 Dodge WC52 is one of the models I need to build. It belongs to a US Combat Engineer Team. The model is converted from Italeri’s M6 Anti Tank. The team will carry Bangalore torpedos, demolition charges and a mine detector.
A little warning to those of you that want to build this model! The wheel suspension is too high which make the truck look like a monster-truck. I fixed this by not using the models suspension at all – a conversion that is not easy, but with some patience it can be fixed.
Figures are Milicast and AB Figures. Stowages from Goffy and SHQ.
The Bangalore box is made out of balsa, this still need some sanding. The wire in the hand of one of the soldiers will be the mine detector. I will give the truck some drybrush and then chip it – and of course paint the wheels and all the stowage. The figures still need to be cleaned and get some milliput in the gaps where arms and heads have been glued to the body. Figures are Milicast. Stowages from Goffy and SHQ.
This is the figures when unseated. The guy to the left will be converted so that he carries Bangalores instead of his weapon. They are all AB Figures.
The bangalore guy got his hands full… easy task to replace the rifle with some iron wire.
After I had put Milliput into holes and gaps on the figures I had lots of Milliput left. So I made the bag laying on the box back in the truck. It is supposed to look like the bag that the Mine detector guy carries along with him with some apperature in it. It is ages since I tried to create something in Milliput – it is more fun than I remember.
The mine detector guys has his equipment ready. I know that the detector could be folded, but I think this way is more eye catching. Later on I shift the wire in the mine detector to a thinner wire – a guitar string actually.
Here’s the truck ready to go!!!